Pickled Rainbow Chard Recipe photo by Taste of Home
Pickling adds pop to fresh foods, especially Swiss chard stems. In this easy fridge method, sweet meets tart and it all balances out overnight. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Prep: 10 min. Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 2 bunches rainbow Swiss chard
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- Trim leaves from Swiss chard; save for another use. Cut stems into 2-in. pieces; place in a large heatproof nonreactive bowl. Add onion, pickling spices, celery seed and mustard seed.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar and water; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring to dissolve sugar; pour carefully over chard mixture. Cool completely. Refrigerate, covered, overnight, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pickled Rainbow Chard in Simple & Delicious June/July 2016
Select the Newsletters that interest you to subscribe
Recipe of the day newsletter
Receive new recipes and fan favorites for daily inspiration!
Taste of home
Quick & easy homemade meals that are perfect anytime!
Taste of home
top 10 recipes
Get our 10 most popular recipes delivered to your inbox!
By entering my email and clicking the subscribe button below, I am opting to receive the newsletters I have selected.
Please enter a valid email
You Are successfully subscribed
ERROR! Please try Again