If you’re craving a chocolate cake that’s a bit lower in sugar and has delectable coffee flavors, then make this gluten-free mocha chocolate cake. This allergy-friendly cake is made without refined ingredients and is a rich indulgence that kills chocolate cravings.
Mocha Chocolate Cake With Mocha Buttercream Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee (regular or decaf)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup stevia
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or other granulated sweetener)
- 3 cups brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup flax seed meal or ground chia seed
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
For the Mocha Buttercream:
- 1/2 cup raw sugar (or raw date or coconut sugar)
- 1/3 cup stevia
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1-2 teaspoons instant coffee granules or to taste
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening or coconut oil (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
To Make the Buttercream:
- Make your powdered sugar: in a blender or magic bullet, place the raw sugar, stevia, arrowroot starch, instant coffee, and cocoa powder. Pulse until a fine powder forms. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the shortening or coconut oil until creamy. Add in the the powdered sugar and beat until incorporated. Add vanilla and beat again until creamy.
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 2 9-inch cake pans (or 3 8-inch cake pans) by spraying the sides with oil and placing a parchment circle in the bottom of each pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the coffee, cocoa powder, hot water, applesauce, oil, vanilla, sugar, and the stevia. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, flaxseed meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum. Mix well.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour batter into the prepared cake pans and bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes. Remove from the cake pans and let cool completely before frosting.
Total Calories: 5939 | Total Carbs: 686 g | Total Fat: 361 g | Total Protein: 59 g | Total Sodium: 10699 g | Total Sugar: 240 g
Per Serving: Calories: 371 | Carbs: 43 g | Fat: 23 g | Protein: 4 g | Sodium: 669 mg | Sugar: 15 g
You can replace some of the shortening with nut butter instead.
EXPLORE MORE RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS:
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS
Sarah Jane Parker is a mom, personal trainer, health coach, yoga instructor, and blogger at The Fit Cookie. She writes about fun fitness and allergy friendly food!