Jelly Cream Cake
Yields 15 (1-inch) slices. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup powdered sugar
1 cup jam (any flavor)
8 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line an 11-by-15-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, stir sugars together then set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs at high speed until bright yellow and smooth, about 2 minutes.
5. Slowly sprinkle in sugars while beating until pale yellow and thick, about 3 minutes more.
6. Add the milk and vanilla.
7. Turn the mixer on the lowest setting or finish by hand. Gradually spoon in the flour mixture to incorporate with the egg mixture.
8. Spread the batter into the prepared jelly roll pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the middle of the cake is firm, the edges spring back when you touch them and a toothpick comes out clean.
9. While the cake bakes, sprinkle and spread the powdered sugar on a clean dish towel to coat.
10. Immediately turn the cake out onto the prepared towel and remove the parchment paper.
11. Roll the cake up in the towel starting with the long edge closest to you. Allow the cake to cool no longer than 15 minutes.
12. While the cake cools, blend together the jam and mascarpone cheese.
13. Unroll the slightly cooled cake, then spread the jam mixture over it leaving about an inch from each edge.
14. Roll the cake back up and place it on a dish, seam side down to cool and set.
15. Refrigerate until ready to serve, then dust with powdered sugar.