If you're looking for sugar, spice, and everything nice, with a little less emphasis on the "sugar" part, you've come to the right place.
We've taken the classic "nice" cream recipe, which involves freezing and then puréeing bananas into a deliciously thick and creamy mixture that bears a pretty shocking resemblance to—you guessed it!—ice cream, and upgraded it for autumn. This time around, we've added roasted apples, a touch of cinnamon, and a splash of pure maple syrup, all of which fall-ify the classic treat. Whether you're looking forward to the season or wishing you were still wearing a bikini at the beach, this recipe will almost certainly appeal to you. (Related: This Apple Crisp Recipe Is the Perfect Healthy Fall Breakfast)
Did we mention it has only four ingredients? Let's get roasting.
Roasted Apple-Cinnamon "Nice" Cream
Prep time: 3 hours (includes freezing time!)
Total time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 large red apples, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Put the banana chunks into a medium plastic bag and throw them in the freezer for at least 3 hours (overnight is best!).
- When the bananas are frozen and you're ready to make the ice cream, begin by roasting your apples on a baking sheet. Preheat your oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, combine the apple quarters with the cinnamon until well-coated. Place them on a baking sheet (you'll probably want to use one with a rim) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- After removing the apples from the oven, allow them to cool. Then, take the bananas out of the freezer and purée them using a blender until you've achieved a chunky texture (you don't need to reach optimal creaminess just yet). Add the roasted apples and syrup, and continue to pulse until the mixture has very few banana chunks remaining. It'll be about the consistency of soft-serve.
- Pour the "nice" cream into a covered container and pop it in the freezer to set for another 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Top with more apple slices (unroasted) if desired—then scoop up and enjoy!