If you're looking to wow your guests, look no further than this ooey gooey, rich apple crisp. This crisp is completely balanced: the base and the top are nice and crisp and crunchy and the apple and caramel give it the gooey, chewy contrast. If you're craving that fall apple, cinnamon, leaves falling, warm feeling, this is that feeling in a dessert.
Apple Cinnamon Crisp With Caramel [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust and Topping:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup dried coconut shreds
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Apple Filling:
- 4 cups diced apples, about 3 peeled and cored apples
- 2 tablespoons tapioca or arrowroot
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice, optional
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce, below
For the Caramel Sauce Topping:
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
You will need to make the caramel sauce before beginning the apple crisp bars.
To Make the Caramel Sauce:
- Add all ingredients to a medium pot and simmer on low for 15 to 20 minutes to thicken.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool while you prepare the slice.
To Make the Crust and Topping:
- Preheat oven to 350°F then turn down to 335°F when you add the slice to the oven.
- Grease or line a round removable bottom baking dish.
- Add all the crust ingredients to a large bowl.
- With your fingers, mix and work the coconut oil and vegan butter into the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined and it resembles coarse sticky breadcrumbs.
- Take out 2 1/2 cups of the mixture and reserve for the topping. Then take the remaining mixture and pour it into the prepared baking dish.
- Press down the crust to make an even layer.
To Make the Apple Filling:
- Peel and chop the apples.
- Then, in a large bowl, mix together all the filling ingredients.
- Spread the apple filling over the crust in an even layer and then sprinkle the reserved topping over apple filling.
- Bake the slice for 35-40 minutes, or until the topping is browned and the apples are soft.
- Allow the slice to cool completely in the baking dish.
- Smother the caramel sauce over the top, you can cover it completely or just drizzle, it’s up to you how much you want.
- Slice and serve for a warm dessert or leave the slice in the fridge overnight so that it’s completely set then slice it just before serving if you want a more crisp and perfectly formed slice.
EXPLORE MORE RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS:
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS
Gorgeous raw vegan and paleo-friendly desserts with amazing flavor and wow factor. Lover and creator of tasty treats made with real food! My passion is to re-create recipes straight from what nature has provided us with and then devour them with a positive mindset knowing that we are nourishing our bodies with every tasty bite. My vegan creations include raw, paleo, gluten free and grain free versions of everything wicked, made as healthy as I can whilst maintaining the amazing taste and wow factor. Welcome aboard and most of all… Enjoy! :-)