Put a spin on the classic potato pancake by adding apple for bursts of sweetness! Flax eggs keeps these savory cakes together. Serve them at breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Savory Apple and Potato Pancakes [Vegan]
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 apple, peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (to prevent discoloration)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax seed meal and 5 tablespoons water, mix and wait 5 minutes)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Coconut oil or any frying oil
- Shred the potatoes and apple either in a food processor or using a grater. Coat the shreds with lemon juice.
- Place the shreds in a strainer and squeeze out the excess liquid by pressing with your hand or using a spatula.
- Transfer the shreds into a bowl and add the flax eggs, flour, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add enough oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet and place over medium-high heat.
- Pour a few spoonfuls of the batter into the skillet, size depending on how big you want your pancakes to be. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Cook the pancakes on both sides until they are crisp and golden. Serve with vegan yogurt and salsa.
EXPLORE MORE RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS:
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS
Simple and flavorful plant-based dinners and desserts. Maya is a photographer and a chef developing creative vegan recipes. She merges her background in visual arts with her love for healthy plant food. She is the author of the blog, Dreamy Leaf.